Friday, August 9, 2013

The Sound of Music Trail......A friend and I went on a hike today on a trail that I have renamed "The Sound of Music" trail. The reason I have renamed it is obvious. You reach this certain point where you just tap into your own Julie Andrews and just start singing "The hills are alive with the Sound of Music." Now I have to confess that I have been on many trails in which I have broken into song and twirled just like Julie Andrews. But on this trail it has become a sacred ritual to do so at this one particular point.

The trail that leads you to this point is mostly uphill. So as we sat and had lunch today my friend made the comment that our picnic spot (which has also become a ritual) was lovely but the problem was just getting there. I immediately responded that would be a good sermon title; the problem is just getting there.

My Daddy is still struggling with his health and is still in the hospital. The struggle to get well is often a problem. The end result of wellness may be the point where one breaks forth into songs of praise and thanksgiving. However the journey there is often a problem, a struggle, a heartbreaking journey.

I am truly grateful that for the Christian, wellness is never completely obtained until we reach that "City not made by hands...."! That view will be one in which all of us will take to our knees and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! We will truly break forth into songs of praise and thanksgiving. Yes, sometimes the journey may be difficult. But if these mountains have taught me anything, it is that along the way there are precious creations to see and treasures hidden all around. Each small blessing along the trail gives you strength to take the next step so that you can continue with anticipation to see what God has in store for you next!

No comments:

Post a Comment